Sunday, December 11, 2011

Remembering Pearl Harbor Day with Victory and Sushi

Amazed at how quickly the blustery cooler weather (lord, it was chilly!) moved in last night, we made our way over to Engine 15 Brewing Company for the Victory Brewing Company tasting held there in remembrance of the Japanese attack on our naval and air forces 70 years ago at Pearl Harbor. The Jax Brew Bitch sincerely thanks all of those in active duty and all veterans for your service to our country.

Scott Russell of North Florida Sales had invited me and I was honored to be able to participate and assist in pouring samples of Victory's Moonglow Weizenbok (yummers!), the Hop Wallop IPA (served via a pineapple and hops infused Randel), Donny Brook Nitro Stout and Dark Intrigue, a pre-release dark coffee porter  which Scott made available along with his signature  Scarlet Fire Rouchbier a “Bacon Beer” a smoky blend he does monthly. Thanks, Scott from ALL of us for sharing these special brews!

 I concentrated on those brewed by Victory all evening but noted Engine 15 had some up on the board I want to come back and try very soon. Springfield Brew Crew Marc Wisdom allowed us to invade his table and we appreciate his fellowship and beer edification. Check out his column in The Buzz – the man knows his beer – AND how to write!

I had been wanting to get back to Engine 15 for awhile so that I could try something other than the wonderful Barbe-Cuban sandwich I had before. I ordered the Beer Dip Sandwich, a twist on the classic French Dip, using an impressive amount of ham and beer nectar as a dip – I liked it and had chosen the macaroni salad again as the side item (it has a kick!). You should give this a try – it is another value-priced offering from Engine 15 which is perfect to accompany the significant array of brew selections to be had there.

Our friends, Teresa and Marco dropped in and sampled some brew and ordered the Loaded Down Chili Nachos which looked amazing. Scott shared his Pigs in Blankets which were very tasty.

The place was busy and the staff was focused on what needed to be done. Service was attentive, consistent and thorough, though not as personable as could be. Understanding this was not the average night, a few more smiles would have made it just perfect. However, I am not complaining – service was good – but “persona on display” is important when dealing with customers – especially non-regulars – and WILL be reflected in the gratuities.

Ladies' restroom was clean and companion noted the Mens' room was surprisingly tidy and well-stocked, given the number of patrons.

All the patrons were kind and respectful of the establishment, other patrons and myself. I was able to meet some great folks and talented individuals including Sam Taylor, President of FolioWeekly. Sam is so sweet and very respectful of all those around him – you can tell by his demeanor that he is a “Class Act”.

My appreciation to Scott Russell for inviting me and letting me “Brew Bitch” for the evening – a delightful surprise and opportunity. Thanks to Engine 15 for providing another great experience for me and my friends!

Our group then traveled over to the Green Room Brewing Tap Room so that our friends, Teresa and Marco could be introduced to the place and sample their brews. I ordered the Thai Saison, one of my favorites and shared some of the luscious darker Tequesta Brewing Company coffee porter with my companion. Since it was a “school night”, the visit to the Green Room had to be a quick one but I noted a few brews on their board I still want to try.


Leaving the Green Room Brewing Company, my nose instinctively “went for scent”, searching for something to eat. Since it was late and I was cold and sleepy, I was even considering “pedestrian” fast-food from one of the chains just to get home and cuddled in bed. However, nearing the Winn-Dixie shopping center at the southwest corner of the intersection of Beach Blvd and St. Johns Bluff Road, I noticed Matsuya Sushi & Grill seemed open – a place we had been wanting to try. I was certain the proprietor had simply forgotten the lights were on but I was pleasantly surprised they were going to be open until 2:00 am that night/morning. WOW! … late night sushi! … Woo-Hoo!

Occupying the location of one of our former haunts (pre-Brew Bitch) Hanabi, I spoke to Justin Hike, owner of the place and he explained he was trying to establish late-night arrangements with the landlord. For now, on Wednesday nights, they will be open late and hopefully will be able to expand their late-night hours to other evenings in the future.

Keep in mind, there are primal forces at work within me dealing with sushi – and I have always been of the mind that sushi restaurants are missing out on a significant niche – late night sushi dining. I am now SO excited about Matsuya!

The crowd was obviously younger and the requisite loud music was present, but not annoying. The energy and my giddiness of learning of this establishment replaced any misgivings I might have had about the beer-pong marathon being held on one side of the restaurant. The kids were having fun and were very respectful to me and companion.

The sushi – OMG, it was GOOD. We had:

  • Item 1 Narudo Roll (krab, spicy tuna, avocado, fish egg, rolled with cucumber, ponzu sauce)
  • Item 2 Crazy Roll (spicy tuna and crunch, fish egg on top of tempura shrimp with avocado roll)
  • Item 3 Sweet & Spicy Erica (shrimp, cream cheese, salmon, krab, then deep fried)
  • Item 4 Dynamite (fresh salmon, krab and asparagus deep fried with mayo, hot sauce and eel sauce)
  • Item 5 Philadelphia (cream cheese and krab)
  • Item 6 Spicy Tuna
  • Item 7 Crunch Spicy Salmon
All items were fresh and well-presented. Justin's personal service was impeccable – he obviously “gets it” about catering to his patrons and mining information (demographic and otherwise) from them in an innocuous manner for business-planning purposes. Jacksonville, we need to support young entrepreneurs like Justin – this place bodes well for the future of Brews and Chews in Jax.

You don't have to order in the species-threatening quantities companion and I always do when “sushi-ing” to enjoy what Justin and his staff at Matsuya have to offer. Plan an evening out and include this establishment as your dining destination. Come on, get “off yer butt” - even if you've never had sushi before – Justin and crew will be your guide.

Here's another idea – break out of the norm, get on the prowl and plan a Wednesday evening to include a stop at Matsuya for late-night sushi. Embrace the energy, grab a brew, a plate of sushi and tell 'em the Jax Brew Bitch sent ya'. I know you'll enjoy it!

Thanks to Justin and the staff at Matsuya Sushi & Grill for stepping up to the plate and delivering a unique venue for Brews and Chews in Jax ... Well done!







No comments:

Post a Comment