Friday, December 9, 2011

Ta-booooo! Just follow your Intuition & Kickback.

My impetus for venturing out Tuesday night was to see if the synergy generated in the previous Tuesday's spontaneous Taboo Tuesday at Intuition Ale Works had established a tradition of sorts – or was just a flash in the pan. Unfortunately, Team Awesome did not muster though a couple of members of “that other team” came skulking around, obviously emboldened by the “pity victory” Team Awesome provided them last Tuesday in a compassionate gesture for those “clue-lickly challenged”.

However, being the spunky Brew Bitch that I am, I rose to the occasion and quickly ordered the special King Street Stout which had been delightfully prepared using cocoa and chili powder, brewed by Andrew Cattell.

**POP** went the eyeballs – I must say, I would be honored to “touch the hem of Andrew's garment” for concocting this heavenly nectar. Since I love the King Street Stout in its common form, this spiritually- elevated brew ushered me into nirvana. Get it – drink it – live it.

Wishing not to offend my kindred spirits, I then shared a glass of the Honey Badger, that wonderfully crafted offering with splashes of honey notes followed by a split of the Anniversary IPA which is brewed and dry-hopped with Amarillo and Simcoe hops. Note: one of the members of “that other team” was quite displeased I had opted for the Anniversary IPA since he likes it so much, he wants “more of the pie” for himself. Not mentioning any names, but you can check out his website design services at: 


At the same table with my previous week's opponents, I was also able to meet some wonderful and talented people – Chad, Tracey and Paul.

So, although I was disappointed a raucous round of Taboo did not surface, the evening at Intuition Ale Works was indeed a memorable and pleasant experience.



My Jeep has a homing device which has been programmed to center at Kickback's Gastropub, so we had no say in the matter and ended up there for a late-night snack. Determining to steel ourselves from the tempting list of available brews, we succumbed when we learned they had Wake-N-Bake on tap once again. Jill, our wonderful server was amazed at how quickly two hands shot up from our table requesting this addictive juice. Wake-N-Bake is well, simply one of my all-time favs.

I was in the mood to split one of their stuffed blue-cheese cheeseburgers – yes, pepperjack and bacon on top, thank-you-ma'am. So decadent … and we chose onion petals as a side. The kitchen staff has never failed us on this burger and we believe THIS one was even better than ever. So well prepared and presented - and the crispy onion petals with the accompanying Satan-oozed sauce combined with the Wake-N-Bake … well, let me just say, I was “gettin' the vapors” … it was SO good. Was I through, though? … of course not – companion tricked me into getting the sampler of Cheesecake, Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Bananas Foster Bites for dessert. OMG, decorum was the only thing keeping me from lickin' the plate – so , I used my finger as a scooper. If you haven't tried the Bites, do so - and be blessed.

While I was scarfing, uh … I mean dining, I noticed none other than Andrew Cattell from Intuition Ale Works was “in the house” and I hope he was not too embarrassed when companion and I knelt before him bowing in reverence to his masterful creative genius on most notably, the Lowdown Porter and the King Street Stout with cocoa and chili pepper noted above. By the way, from that position, it is amazing what info you can glean from the underside of the high-top tables – did you know that “Arnie Loves Babs”? … well, at least he did on 12-15-2010 – but I digress ...

Seriously, I did have an extensive discussion with Andrew, learning much about his interesting background and the incredible ways “the stars aligned” to get him where he is today. With him were a couple of friends, Ford and Kyle – Kyle of Grassroots Natural Market. Grassroots is a great place to shop – groceries, produce, vitamins and my favorite department – the craft beers. For 2012, make a concerted effort to purchase certain items from Grassroots.

Although this ended up being a much later night than planned, I regard the whole evening as a gift. Thank you to Brian at Intuition and Steve, Jill and crew at Kickback's Gastropub for a wonderful Jax Brew Bitch evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment