Saturday, August 18, 2012

Birthday Blues and Brews ...


How about our Olympic Athletes? … they're certainly did well and I always get inspired watching them, win or lose, as they do their best to represent our country by giving it all they have in their respective events.

As the closing weekend of the Olympics approached, I had been busying myself deciding what items to pack for by birthday trip to Tampa. Our plans had been to leave early Friday morning and spend part of the day visiting a couple of well-known beer locations in Orlando, joining up with Mad Dog, the BT and all of us invading our friend's house in Polk County for the remainder of the weekend. I had been researching and seeking advice for “must-stop” establishments in and around Tampa and my list included Cigar City, St. Somewhere and Dunedin to name just three.

Companion had been out of town since Sunday, traveling for work to Virginia Beach. Since he was driving, he had already made arrangements to leave early that day (Thursday, Aug 9) and wanted to be back in time to take me somewhere that evening – my actual birthday.

I awoke on my birthday excited about finishing my packing and going over my checklist of things to take and places to visit in Tampa. Unfortunately, my excitement was cut short when I received a text from our friend in Polk County that he had an emergency with his family and would need to re-schedule our stay with him.

I was SO bummed. However, I texted back that we understood and we would re-schedule as soon as he was ready. I then sent a text to companion who was just leaving the classroom in which he was co-teaching the session. He couldn't believe it either – and hoped that maybe things could still come together during his drive home. It wasn't to be.

So, I put on my “big-girl panties” and tried not to mope – tried not to wallow in self-pity – tried not to pout.

Dim Sum from Silver Star Chinese Restaurant
Earlier, I had made plans to have my hair cut, so I went ahead and had that done. After that, I spoke to companion who was by then two hours away and he convinced me to go treat myself to Dim Sum at Silver Star Chinese Restaurant. I did so but it wasn't the same with out him.

We arrived home at the same time and I felt it wouldn't be fair to ask him to take me out since he had just completed an arduous 10-hour driving marathon through significant rain along I-95. However, he insisted we do something I would like that evening – something to mark my birthday.

I was definitely in the mood for a Chinook IPA from Bold City Brewery (2670 Rosselle St  - 904.379-6551), so we quickly headed out, first returning the rental car at the airport. The evening was beginning to look up! … companion home and now we were pulling into the parking lot of Bold City! … WooHoo!

Companion was hungry, so while he went to the grill outside the tap room and ordered a “Vernon Burger”, I went inside the tap room and ordered my Chinook IPA and his 1901 Red Ale (descriptions per Bold City's website):

Bold City Brewery Chinook IPA
The Chinook IPA is brewed with a single hop variety. The Chinook hop gives this IPA a nice floral aroma and the addition of caramel malts adds a hint of sweetness.

Bold City Brewery 1901 Red Ale
This is not your standard Red Ale. This is a very ‘malty’, ‘roasty’ and complex Red Ale. The roasted flavor comes from the high presence of roasted barley. With a very minimal but high alpha hop addition, this Red Ale has become a favorite among patrons.


Will was our attentive and friendly bartender – someone we're always happy to see. We discussed upcoming venues for his band, Whole Wheat Bread, since I've been missing out for one reason or another in seeing them perform.

The television mounted high in front of us displayed various events going on at the Olympics and recaps showed USA continuing to do well – encouraging – and got me in a better mood, for sure!

Companion was soon enjoying his burger which is served with beans and some great-tasting slaw. You can also order other wonderfully delicious items such as wings and pulled pork and add them to your tap room tab!

John and Susan Miller all came by and took the time to speak with us – they are always so gracious and friendly – consistently making Bold City Brewery a favorite stop on many of my Prowls. My thanks to them and Will for providing a well-needed boost to my birthday-evening morale!

Bold City Brewery


2011 Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, Stone Old
Guardian BELGO Barley Wine & 
Companion suggested we stop at one more place before heading home and he let the Jeep take us wherever it decided. A short drive later, we were parked close to Kickbacks Gastropub (910 King Street – 904.388.9551).

The place was packed but we were able to find a couple of seats at the bar. Jimmee and Andrew were behind the bar and Andrew made sure we also had cold ice water to accompany the two beers we ordered (descriptions per breweries' websites):

2011 Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti
A generous infusion of Denver’s own Pablo's espresso adds yet another layer of complexity to this beer, combining with the vanilla oak character, intense roasty maltiness and bold hop profile to create a whole new breed of mythical creature. It's official: You can now have Yeti with breakfast. Note: 9.5% ABV

Stone Old Guardian BELGO Barley Wine
Quoting Stone Brewer Mitch Steele:

Appearance: Deep gold/light amber with a light tan head. Beer has a light haze.
Aroma: Floral and very fruity, with banana and other tropical fruit notes, wine, and hints of spice.
Taste: Banana fruit esters, light caramel/toffee notes and hints of alcohol that should mellow over time.
Palate: Medium body up front, finishes dry with a nice hop bitterness and some alcohol heat.
Overall Impression: Absolutely my favorite of our Belgian versions, the Belgian yeast takes this beer into a totally new direction. The yeast esters dominate the flavor, while the malt character remains solidly in the background to provide ample fullness and balance. Hop flavors, while muted slightly up front, end strong on the beer's finish.
Note: 12% ABV & 85 IBUs

Kickbacks Gastropub - Southwestern Wrap with
a side of Fried Green Beans.
Companion asked if I would like something to nibble on while we enjoyed our beer and after looking over the menu, I decided upon the Southwestern Wrap (my first time trying this!) for us to share, described on the menu:

Fried chicken, bacon, cheese, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa and jalapeno ranch dressing ($8.29)

Another great, value-priced meal from Kickbacks!

Owner Steve Flores stopped by to say hello and was kind enough to update me on the upcoming expansion of his establishment! .. I can't wait – more beer and delicious food coming soon!


He also suggested we try the 2009 Lagunitas Brown Shugga – something Steve had sequestered away and decided to share it with his customers. I was tempted not to mention it to keep more of it for myself – just kidding – you MUST go try this before it is gone!

Brown Shugga is described on Lagunitas Brewing Company's website:
Brown Shugga was originally a failed attempt to make our Olde GnarlyWine Ale way back in 1997. Boatloads of Brown Sugar were added to the boil in an attempt to rescue the batch. The result was quite different from the Olde GnarlyWine we were looking for, but the Accidental Release of Brown Shugga that year was the beginning of an annual rampage caused by a beer that follows no style guidelines and can best be described as.... Irresponsible … Cheers! 

After enjoying our brews and chews – and watching USA kick booty in the Olympics, I wanted to get companion home so that he could rest. A full day was done – starting off a little disappointing but ending up much better.

Thank you to Andrew, Jimmee, owner Steve Flores and the rest of the team at Kickbacks Gastropub for another wonderful experience – one which made this Jax Brew Bitch Prowl an impressive Gold Medal winner.

Kickbacks Gastropub

No comments:

Post a Comment