Friday, December 16, 2011

A night with Director John Waters ... Part II

Prior to the John Waters Christmas show at Florida Theater (see earlier blog post), companion and I decided to get a bite of sushi at Sumo Sushi at 2726 Park Street in Riverside. On a somewhat chilly Wednesday evening, there were just a few customers there when we arrived, though by the end of our meal, there was significantly more.

We had been there before (pre-Jax Brew Bitch) for a quick bite before they closed and had enjoyed our small order of sushi and the sushi-bombers provided by a couple seated next to us at the sushi bar.

We sat table-side this time and ordered:

·         2 Tobiko (Flying Fish Roe) with Quail Egg on top ($5.40)
·         2 Spicy Tuna Rolls ($9.10)
·         1 JB Roll (smoked salmon & cream cheese - $4.25)
·         1 Dynamite Roll (salmon, crab stick & asparagus deep fried with special sauce - $5.95)
·         1 Special Maki (salmon, crab meat, avocado, cream cheese & fish egg wrapped in cucumber - $7.95)
·         1 Volcano Roll (California roll, conch mayo, crab stick with fish egg on top - $7.95)

The Tobiko with Quail Egg on top I consider dessert since the combination of the roe and raw quail egg results in a sweet sensation to my taste buds. If you have not tried this, you should!

We ordered and split the Hot Sake ($5.50) to accompany the meal. Yes, I know hot sake is of less quality than that sake which is served cold, but this fit the cooler evening and my pocketbook much better.

All the food was well-prepared and presented. The restrooms were clean and well-supplied.

It was ALL delicious and the service was friendly and consistent. I am certainly planning a return visit! It was just perfect for a before-show meal and I was so excited about seeing John Waters in person, this was an absolute fantastic Jax Brew Bitch experience.


Following the John Water's Christmas show, we stopped over for our first visit to the Burro Bar to meet Springfield Brew Crew Marc Wisdom. Interesting place – wish it didn't have the heavily laden smokey atmosphere, though. A good selection of brews, we opted for and shared the Victory Golden Monkey and the Anderson Valley Winter Solstice. Suggestion: know what you want prior to approaching the bar at this place – bartenders were of NO help – just useless blank faces staring at us not offering any suggestions and appearing like they were feeling “put-out” having to wait while we decided.

When we arrived, Marc had saved us a table for three, however, a lady who was obviously “three-sheets” at least, had taken it upon herself to “Occupy Drunk Seat” and THAT was the source of the “Near-Bitch Slap” she was going to receive from me. By the way, I'm a Cajun girl, a well-grounded member of G.R.I.T.S. (Girls Raised in the South) and can take care of myself, thank you very much … (companion does all my light-fightin')

However, since we had just met Marc and I noted the lady appeared to be on something more … well ... ethereal than alcohol, I just firmly asked her to relocate her carcass. After asking me four times if I “really looked like that” (???), she slowly fumbled herself out of the chair, promising to “tell on us” when she spoke to her alleged friend, the bartender(s).

Later though, I saw her fall flat on the floor, pulling HER companion with her and no one, I mean, NO one went to assist. I went over to help them disentangle themselves from one another but it took myself, Marc and my companion to get them off the floor and her into a chair. Maybe the bar staff just didn't see them fall – I don't see how they could have not seen them since they were right next to the end of the bar, but it indeed left a sour taste in my mouth about the Burro Bar. I KNOW they saw us helping her into a chair RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM but not a word was said – nothin' – nada - zip. How much more worthless of a staff could you have? Surely, they have some type of security staff or representative – to not respond to something like that was inexcusable. Other establishments would have been ALL over that situation and dealt with in short order. Even if  they had mentioned something in the aftermath, that would have been more acceptable. Simply unbelievable.

If you plan to go there, be ready to take care of yourself, physically and otherwise.

Management needs to re-assess what is happening at the Burro Bar – before it's too late. My gut feeling is that this episode is not merely anecdotal but systemic in nature. I may still venture there again, if I am downtown anyway (and prepared for a fight). I hope the staff improves, I really do – it could be a really great place in an area which could use some more great places.

No comments:

Post a Comment