Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Rising Sun and Newest Brews in the Oldest City

I was so excited Friday evening (Dec 9) that my companion, our friend Tina and I were going to meet Springfield Brew Crew Marc Wisdom in St. Augustine for my first visit to Mile Marker Brewing Company which just opened on October 12, 2011!

Although we got a little turned around, I quickly got us going in the right direction by lowering my window and catching the heavenly scent of the brew-making process (I call this my “BPS” - Brewer Positioning System). Tina later told me her dog also leans way out of the car like I did when she takes him for a drive – but he doesn't drool near as much ...

As we approached the entrance, I noticed some gentlemen engaged in the brewing process and quickly scanned the doors and walls for announcements of openings in their Tasting Research Department. Sadly, none were posted. Upon entering the Tap Room, I was pleased to see the nice décor and room to prowl. This makes for a much better Jax Brew Bitch evening!

Our friends, Teresa and Marco were also able to join us, also their first visit to Mile Marker.

Companion and I shared the Mile Marker 1565 Red Ale and the Mile Marker 82 Islamorada IPA. I was also able to sample the Mile Marker 0 Key West Kolsch-Style Ale. My favorite was the Islamorada IPA, though all three were good.

Marc introduced me to Vance, owner of the brewery. Vance informed me that although they only had three beers available that evening, within a couple of weeks, they were going to be adding more, including a Pecan Brown Ale and a Coconut Porter!!!

It was early in the evening, so the Tap Room was not crowded – which made it easier to carry on our conversations. I found out that Vance had lived in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands and that started a whole new dialogue between us. Companion and I lived in the Virgin Islands for a number of years, so we shared that common bond with Vance. (by the way, if you haven't tried Cruzan Rum, do so!)

Companion took some photos of me and Vance by the brewery's equipment, along with his dog Houston. Vance also allowed me to taste the wort, straight out of the vessel. It tasted amazing like strong oatmeal – almost like the feed I used to feed my horse Mia and cow (steered bull) Maverick in the islands … yes, haven't you ever tasted horse feed? ...

The Jax Brew Bitch urges all beer-enthusiasts in and around Jacksonville to visit and support the entrepreneurs behind Mile Marker Brewing providing us with yet another venue for brews in proximity to our great area! … get a group of friends and make a night of it – or better yet, a weekend day trip to St. Augustine topped off with some fine brews from Vance and his staff at Mile Marker Brewing Company!

Thank you to Springfield Brew Crew Marc Wisdom for introducing me to Vance and to Vance for taking the time to talk to me and for the very informative tour of Mile Marker Brewing!



The wort which Vance let me taste obviously awakened my voracious proclivities and I considered pulling up a chair to make a meal of it. However, the rest of the group persuaded me to go into downtown St. Augustine and eat (and drink!) at J.P. Henley's. Such a “thoughty idea”!

WOW! … St. Augustine was BUSY  that night … we DID have a small hike from the parking we found to J.P. Henley's and were not surprised with the crowded atmosphere inside. Excusing myself to “powder”, when I returned companion excited me by telling me a very sweet waitress (Adina) had taken upon herself to make sure our group of six got the next table – which she did indeed do. Thank you, Adina!

If you've never been to J.P. Henley's, it is a must for beer enthusiasts! … 56 beers on tap now – growing to 70 in January … I knew 2012 was going to be a GREAT year!

We've had J.P. Henley's delicious appetizers at the bar during our previous visits, but I wanted to try something else. I opted for their Rising Sun Sandwich and companion ordered the Mantanzas Sandwich. The Rising Sun is grilled ahi tuna, marinated tomatoes, and wasabi cream dressing dressed in spring greens between slices of herb foccacia.  It was outstanding! ... substantial enough as a meal but not gargantuan in size, just perfect. Companion shared a few bites of the Mantanzas with the andouille sausage and it was amazing – I'll probably get my own the next time we go in.

Beer? … OMG … should have written them all down, some served on tap and some in the bottle … but I DO remember Corsendonk Christmas Ale, Cigar City Jose Marti India Porter and Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout, among others being shared at the table.

Finally, companion ordered a Southern Tier Crème Brulee Imperial Milk Stout and shared some sips of it with Tina, Teresa and Marco. I think they like! … I know I do!

Thanks again to Adina for the friendly and attentive service she provided on a most hectic evening. Our appreciation to J.P. Henley's for providing the atmosphere (and the brews and chews) for a perfect Jax Brew Bitch evening!

Holding a firm position in the Greater Jax / NE Florida Brews and Chews scene, J.P. Henley's should be a definite destination when you get on the prowl in the St. Augustine area.






No comments:

Post a Comment