Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sushi gave me an Intuition I would be CUT OFF at Kickbacks

Knowing Saturday evening (Dec 10) was probably going to end up being an “all-nighter” with all the stops we planned to make, I made sure I was rested, “aspirined” and famished when we picked up our friend Tina from her house and met Springfield Brew Crew Marc Wisdom at Koja Sushi located at The Landing in downtown Jacksonville.

What a beautiful view of the river! … and there was a Christmas show being presented at The Landing performed by a talented youth group from St. Augustine – they were awesome. Overall, a very pleasant atmosphere during a very happy time of the year!

Wanting to pace myself for a marathon brews and chews outing, companion and I shared a Kirin Ichiban with our meal which consisted of (numbers per Koja's menu):

15. Fried Shrimp Roll ($ 4.95)
17. Spicy Tuna Roll ($ 4.95)
18. Spicy Salmon Roll ($ 3.95)
19. Yellowtail Roll ($ 4.95)
27. Eel Roll ($ 3.95)
28. Smoked Salmon Roll ($ 3.95)

Now, the basics I consider when judging sushi are:

A. Is the fish fresh or taste like yesterday's leftover bait?
B. Is it well-prepared or look like something hastily slapped-together?
C. Is the flavor something notable and unique? - due to the ingredients and their ratio to the whole

All of our selections passed both A and B. The Fried Shrimp Roll was okay but it tasted a little like the oil had not been changed recently and the greasy aftertaste was a little *ugh*. Understanding it WAS shrimp and fried at that, I've still had this type of roll better elsewhere.

The rest of the items were good but nothing really “knocked my socks off”. However, if I am in the area of The Landing and have a hankering for sushi, I would certainly go there again.

Service was very attentive and we appreciated our server's genuine smile and gracious manner. I wish I had noted his name ...

I first visited The Landing when companion and I traveled from our home in the U.S. Virgin Islands to Jacksonville for a business trip in 1995  – and the place was somewhat “happening” at that time – busy establishments and beaucoup shoppers – I could sense the energy.

Years later, when we would travel to Jax from our home near Orlando, we noticed sadly how the energy had waned. I hope it can be re-energized and I applaud those involved for their continuing efforts at The Landing, including Koja Sushi.




Having dinner dealt with, it was on to more brew-related pursuits! ... our next stop was the IPA fest at Intuition Ale Works.

WOW! … the place was hoppin' – pun intended - and we could not even nudge our way in to the Tap Room – so, we found some available seats at a table in the also-crowded warehouse, from which we beheld the spectacle.

Our good friends, Teresa and Marco met us all there and they brought handsome nephew Ty and beautiful daughter-in-law Christina for their first visit to Intuition. Later, their friend Vince joined us, as well – he's hilarious!

Companion and I decided to maximize our exposure to the IPAs and shared (descriptions per Intuition's website):

  • The Heel – Black Centennial IPA. Roasty malt notes complement the Centennial hop citrus notes.
  • Cascade – Slightly spicy with strong citrus/grapefruit peel aroma.
  • Anniversary IPA - Brewed and dry-hopped with Amarillo and Simcoe hops.

The Heel was very dark and was absolutely perfect for the cooler evening. Although I lean toward the darker brews, I am developing a taste for the lighter selections, as well – so I was quite proud of myself when I truly enjoyed the Cascade!

Based upon an earlier visit to Intuition, I had already become a fan of the Anniversary IPA, so a tongue-out “IN YOUR FACE!!!” to Ian (http://broopa.com/ ) -  I had MORE of the Anniversary IPA during your extended absence … less of the pie for you, bucko … by the way, did I mention how GOOD it was? … I'm so evil ... (see earlier blog post)

Congratulations to Intuition Ale Works for what must have been a successful IPA Fest! … thanks to Robin for working so tirelessly and graciously behind the bar in the warehouse! … that's one of the reasons she is one of my treasured Ale Angels! …



The ANSWER is: “Two spilled beers and a broken glass”

The QUESTION is: “How can you tell the Jax Brew Bitch had a great time at the bar?”

The last stop during our night of decadence was Kickbacks Gastropub and this was going to be Tina's first time inside the place. I think we may have scared her away for good ...

I don't think companion's rear had hit the chair at the high-top table before he had ordered Kickbacks Gastropub's extremely popular French Mushroom Spread and Fish & Chips for our group to share. The moans arising from our table surely distracted fellow-patrons, but we munched on.

Other friends happened by, including Teresa's and Marco's friend Vince we had met earlier at Intuition Ale Works. We were also pleased when Brewer Andrew Cattell of Intuition Ale Works pulled up a chair and visited with us for awhile.

The evening was going to end well, I just knew it – my “Suds Sensei”, John was our server – and between him and Springfield Brew Crew Marc Wisdom, Tina had NO chance to slowly feel her way into the “World of Beercraft” - she was thrust in explosively!

I know our group ended up sharing / tasting a number of brews that evening including:

  • Terrapin Beer Company's Wake 'N' Bake (most heavenly “yummers”)
  • Sierra Nevada Brewing Company's Snowed In Stout
  • Corsendonk Christmas Ale
  • Delirium Noël
  • Cigar City Warmer Winter Winter Warmer Ale

At some point during enjoying the brews noted above, a glass of Southern Tier's Crème Brulee was tragically spilled upon the table … *respectful moment of silence* … and later, another delightful brew was spilled with an accompanying broken glass. At that point, Tina declared me and Springfield Brew Crew Marc Wisdom as “CUT OFF!” (I believe THIS was about the time she began fearing for her personal well-being). Others in my group maintain I had something to do with the Crème Brulee spill-occurrence, but I doubt their veracity. However, BOTH events resulted in my most trusted Ale Angel, Kat, swooping in with experienced skill to deftly rid our table of the mishandled nectar and dangerous shards – performing not too much unlike “The Executioner” during “Amateur Nights at the Apollo Theater” - a man with a broom who would sweep performers off the stage if the highly vocal and opinionated audiences began to call for their removal . Thank you, Kat! - we appreciate your kindhearted and understanding attitude!

A special thank you to John and Kat and the kitchen staff st Kickbacks Gastropub for a wonderful and memorable experience for our friend Tina and a fitting end to a perfect Jax Brew Bitch evening! … sorry about the glass … Marc's fault …








No comments:

Post a Comment