Wednesday, December 28, 2011

And this is why I work-out 5 days a week!

A festive spirit possessed me Thursday (Dec 15) and that, coupled with companion's next day off motivated me to venture out that evening. First stop was Intuition Ale Works for a couple of their tasty concoctions. I also wanted to get a couple of photos of Hannah and Lindsay for my website section entitled “Ale Angels”.

Since I knew the supply was dwindling, I selected their Anniversary IPA. This IPA opened my eyes to that style of beer – something I didn't think I would enjoy. Now, IPAs are definitely on my radar screen. The Anniversary , according to Intuition's website, is brewed and dry-hopped with Amarillo and (highly treasured) Simcoe hops.

Companion  chose The Heel which Intuition describes as a “Black centennial IPA – roasty malt notes complement the centennial hop”. We first tried The Heel during the recent IPA Fest on premises and it has grown on us since.

Hannah and Lindsay provided top-drawer service, as always. Check them out in my Ale Angels section, linked below.

I know I can always count on Intuition! … the place is so comfortable, I believe I could even come there in the my jammy-pants late one night and would still feel like I was at home. AHAH! … there! ... I have established a goal for myself for 2012! …

Intuition is open Tuesday through Saturday with Last Call at 11:00 pm.

Do yourself a favor and make a New Years Resolution to make regular visits to Intuition Ale Works – a perfect way to relax and unwind!



I believe Hannah and LINDSEY were speechless when we didn't order another brew (I guess it's good to be known for SOMETHIN' …), but I wanted to run over to Bold City Brewery since we had not been there in quite awhile. Bold City was my first introduction to micro-breweries, so it holds a special place in my beer palate.

I was pleased to see Will there (one of the Beer Buds on my website) – we had not seen him since the Sierra Nevada Beer Dinner at Kickbacks Gastropub  a month or so earlier. We talked about his talented band, “Whole Wheat Bread” - check out the link below and do a search on YouTube!

I had the 1901 Red Ale described on their website as a “very malty, roasty and complex Red Ale – the roasted flavor owing to the high presence of roasted barley” … this is one of my favorites. Companion opted for Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale described on their website as “a mild brown ale – with a light nuttiness and sweetness”. It was Duke's which ushered me into an awareness of something other than the mass-produced “corporate beer” - thank you, Duke's! - and Bold City Brewery! … that experience motivated me to let my friends know about the wonderful world of craft beer.

Open Thursday, Friday and Saturday, be sure and get by there to support Bold City Brewery – and ask for the “Crunchy Sh--” to munch on while you enjoy their wonderful beer!




Okay, my plan was to go home after Bold City Brewery and get snuggled in and watch some TV – but once I got in my Jeep, that freakin' Fried Fairy was flittin' about again, so we just said “Kickbacks” and the Jeep responded by driving itself and traversing that short distance in no time. (I am always amazed at how it can find its own parking spaces)


Soon after we were seated, we began a conversation with a wonderful woman named Jackie who owns a catering business with a significant following in the Greater Jacksonville area. The name of her business is Jacqueline A Davis – Catering & Promotions and you must book months in advance to be able to get her as your caterer. She and her friends were in from St. Marys, Georgia for fun and to attend a charity-related Christmas party out at the beaches. 

That evening, companion and I shared:

·         Rodenbach – aged in oak vats
·         Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic (yammers!)
·         Flying Fish Grand Cru Winter Reserve

After Jackie and her friends left, Brewer Andrew Cattell from Intuition Ale Works happened by and we enjoyed speaking with him and learning even more about this most interesting character!

Andrew asked if we had tried Green Room’s Holla Ray and even though we had, that prompted us to order one to split between us.

During our conversation, I mentioned I was getting into sour beer, whereupon Andrew excused himself and returned with a bottle of Duchese se Bourgogne, brewed by the Brouwerij Verhaeghe brewery. I shared this bottle with Andrew and I must say, I really liked the Duchese! … Thank you, Andrew for introducing me to this specialty beer!

I thought I would be “good” and split two appetizers and agreed with companion's selections of the Chicken Fingers and Southwestern Eggrolls with accompanying “Satan Sauce” … but companion slipped in an order of Chili Cheese Fries, as well … *sigh* … Chili Cheese Fries? … can't you just hear Homer Simpson right now? …

Well, I must say all three were magnificent (thank you, kitchen crew!) … but the Chili Cheese Fries … OMG … emphasis on chili and double emphasis on cheese. Amazing … heart-stoppin', artery-cloggin', toe-curlin' good – and so thick, Marines could train in it …

Keep in mind I KNOW that Chili Cheese Fries are not “gourmet” … yes, I KNOW it's “drunk food” … but I couldn't help myself – and “dug in”  in with enthusiasm. Companion HAD to be embarrassed, though – there I was, taking a bite, smackin' him … taking a bite, smackin' him ...

Ever find yourself a little “in-one's-cups” at Kickbacks Gastropub? … I got the answer! – soak it up with some of their CHILI CHEESE FRIES! … then, let me know you did – and I'll smack companion a few more times for you!

Thank you to Steve, Ale Angle Jill (she did a GREAT job!) and the kitchen crew for providing another wonderful climax for a Jax Brew Bitch evening! … yes, including the !$#***#@!! Chili Cheese Fries …

No comments:

Post a Comment