Saturday, January 19, 2013

Biscuits and Beer ... I think this calls for Pajama Jeans

My Grandmother  - Laura D

My grandmother, “Laura D” as others referred to her, made what I considered to be the best food – always from scratch. My mother has some recipes she herself has developed which I still think are fabulous – but we both know nothing compares to Grandmother's cooking.

Grandmother's “Liver and Onions”, meatloaf and fried chicken still top my list of food for which I have not found an acceptable substitute. During significant portions of my youth spent living with Grandmother, I came to anticipate morning breakfasts of scrambled eggs, real bacon, toast and often her locally-famous biscuits and gravy.

How I miss all that! … but as I matured and “put on my big-girl panties”, I realized what I had and I am thankful I never took it for granted.

None of this was “on my radar” as companion and I loaded into the Jeep and headed out for the Maple Street Biscuit Company (2004 San Marco Blvd – 904.398.1004) last night (Jan 11).

We had heard good things about the place from Lindsay of Intuition Ale Works and George Deacon of Kickbacks Gastropub and his own (and Bobby Bergeron's) ReelFLA Productions.

As you drive into the historic San Marco Square from I-95, Maple Street Biscuit Company will be on the right just past the San Marco Theater. With the resurgence of the Square and recent completions of improvements on San Marco Boulevard, the returning and ever-increasing excitement about San Marco may have you circling the Square a couple of times before finding a parking spot – but its worth the effort!

We ended up settling the Jeep into a spot across the Square from the Maple Street Biscuit Company and made our way over to the establishment entering just a few minutes after their opening for dinner at 5:00 pm. Note – dinner is served ONLY on Fridays and Saturdays. Lunch is served six days a week until 2:00 pm and they are closed on Sunday.

Maple Street Biscuit Co. - The Five and Dime
There were already a couple of people inside awaiting their orders when we stepped up to the counter – they must have been camped out and stalking the place waiting for it to open – much like I will be on future Friday and Saturday evenings.

“Amazing” is too simple a word to describe all the aspects of Maple Street Biscuit Company. The décor and ambiance (this evening, modern Folk Music was being piped into the restaurant at a pleasant volume) makes one comfortable as soon as you enter. The menus are up on the wall near the counter and once you place your order, you can choose from seats aligned along the counter or at one of the many tables, inside and out.

Lindsay and George had collectively suggested we try:

The Five and Dimeflaky biscuit, all natural fried chicken, pecan wood smoked bacon, cheddar cheese topped with sausage gravy with a little kick – plus a fried egg on top! - $8.00

Maple Street Biscuit Co. - The Loaded Goat
The Loaded Goatflaky biscuit, all natural fried chicken breast, fried goat cheese medallion with pepper jelly on top – I asked for a side of sausage gravy (Krispy, the Freakin' Fried Fairy high-fived me at the counter) - $7.50

In lieu of giving you a number for your order, the cashier (this evening, it was the beautiful, efficient and very friendly Chelsea) will ask you a question – ours was “What is your dream vacation destination?” - so, when our order was ready, chef and co-owner Gus walked into the dining area and shouted “Japan?” ... well, I WOULD like to visit Japan one day – plus, I was carrying a Hello Kitty bag with some bottled/can beers in case Maple Street Biscuit Company turned out to be BYOB (it is not, yet anyway).

Maple Street Biscuit Co.
As Gus placed our food in front of us, my preconceived notions about Maple Street Biscuit Company vanished. I had assumed the portions would be small and that we would treat our selections as a tasty appetizer on our way to further food adventures. WRONG! … we didn't eat anything else the rest of the evening!

My first bite instantly brought Grandmother to mind – and a tear to my eye – I am not exaggerating. The flavor and texture was close – very close – to my grandmother's biscuits. I had started with the Loaded Goat but was eyeing companion's Five and Dime. He noticed that and switched plates with me so that I could have a bite.

Lawdy – the sausage gravy – I'd like a mug-full to drink with my meal, please! - outstanding! … the combination of the delicious fried chicken and taste-bud pleasing pecan wood bacon with a “smathering” of the sausage gravy (and maybe a little fried egg yolk!) yielded a crescendo of flavors in that Cajun-girl mouth of mine. (By the way, Krispy was on my shoulder doing the Electric Chicken dance)

Cinnamon Biscuits - what fine lagniappe!!
Sitting next to us was a beautiful woman named Jean who was dining alone. We learned during conversation with her that she had lost her husband a few months ago. She said she was sure her fascinating husband would have loved the place. She also mentioned the “macaroni and cheese” at Maple Street Biscuit Company was the best she had tasted – including her own which friends and family rave about.  That reminded me that George told us how good it was – so, I went and ordered some for us!

We couldn't hold off eating until the mac-n-cheese arrived, so we busied ourselves swapping plates back and forth until everything – including the sausage gravy – was entirely consumed. Once the mac-n-cheese arrived and I took a bite, the descriptions provided by George and the woman next to us were spot on! … the BEST I have had – here is the official description:

Smokey Mountain Mac-N-Cheese
Smoky Mountain Mac-N-Cheese – Five cheese (including smoked Gouda!) baked macaroni with cheese cracker crust … *drool* … $4.00

We were too full for dessert – however, Robyn's House Made Pecan Pie ($3) looked fabulous!

We DID partake in a sampling of the cinnamon biscuits, provided graciously by co-owner Scott. Biscuits made with real pecans slathered with delicious cinnamon frosting! … *yummers* … now, I was stuffed – very stuffed – and quite happy.

The fabulous Crew at Maple Street Biscuit Company
Remember, breakfast and lunch six days a week – dinner on Fridays and Saturdays – closed Sundays.

We're going back – and soon. Discard any perceptions of a “biscuit dinner” and head on down to Maple Street Biscuit Company for some larrupin'-good vittles! … My grandmother, Laura D, would give her nod of approval.

My sincere appreciation to Scott for being such a gracious host, to Gus for the spectacular food and for taking the time to speak with me, to Chelsea for politely and consistently checking on us and making sure we were satisfied and to the entire team at Maple Street Biscuit Company for stepping up to establish a distinctive establishment in San Marco which will be a regular stop on future Jax Brew Bitch Prowls.

By the way, I forgot to ask the folks at Maple Street Biscuit Company if they fill Sausage Gravy Growlers … they should! … just sayin' …

Maple Street Biscuit Company
https://www.facebook.com/MapleStreetBiscuits?fref=ts


Earlier in the day, I had arranged with Steve of Beer Junto to meet with him after dinner that evening and he suggested we meet him at Grape and Grain Exchange (2000 San Marco Boulevard – 904.396.4455) – just a couple of doors down across from the San Marco Theater on the corner of San Marco Boulevard and Balis Place.

As we walked down the sidewalk toward the establishment, we noticed a couple of musical performers in the gazebo within Balis Park entertaining a small group of people. Later, we noticed those talented individuals I refer to as “Pyrogyra” - performers specializing in fire. Very entertaining to watch!

We were meeting Steve so that I could discuss how I could assist in Beer Junto now that his family has grown and he has decided to expand his horizons in both business and family matters.

Grape & Grape - chilled brew selections
Entering Grape and Grain Exchange, we noticed that a healthy crowd had already gathered and were enjoying what the wine, liquor & beer bar had to offer. Near the back was the cooler section filled with beer, so I headed there directly, but slowly – I was SO full from my Maple Street Biscuit Company dinner.

Great selection of craft beer at very reasonable prices, Manager Ford came up to us, introduced himself and explained that we could select anything form the cooler and they would provide a glass for you from which to drink – or you take your selections home without opening them, of course, There is no extra fee for opening your beer selections and accepting a glass. There is a corkage/bottling fee assessed for the wine and liquor, however.

Before Steve arrived, companion and I shared (in smaller bottles):

Birra Kuasapa - $3.50
Kuasapa is an Italian beer, inspired by the American Pale Ale, where American hops meet European ones, creating a very intriguing aroma. Beer strong and decisive, the Kuasapa lends itself to combinations with extremes like blue cheese or raw fish.

Great Divide Brewing Company Claymore Scotch Ale - $2.09
Named for a medieval Scottish sword, CLAYMORE SCOTCH ALE is our tribute to the legendary “Wee Heavy” beers of Scotland. This malty, deep-ruby beauty features lots of caramel sweetness, a reserved hop profile, and a subtle warming character. Unlike its namesake, this beer only requires one hand, but it’ll still make you feel like nobility. - Note: 7.7% ABV

Food Pairings – Pot Roast with roasted vegetables, seared lamb shank with white beans, bread pudding

Of course, I wasn't thinking of food pairings at that point in time – didn't even want to think of food.

The infamous Heidi and Marie with the biscuit filled JBB
Parting the crowd like “Moses does water”, Marie and Heidi made their appearance at the Grape and Grain Exchange. Marie had been wanting me to try the place and she was SO right about how unique and interesting the place is. She introduced me to owners Bob Smith and Jackson Somphonphakdy. A third owner, Anthony Norton was not there that evening while we were there.

Bob was kind enough to show us the portion of Grape and Grain Exchange which will be referred to as “The Speakeasy” - more later – but it will be open to the public and memberships will be available providing preferred seating and discounts in both “The Speakeasy” and in the front.

Steve arrived – and as I noted in my Blog, Facebook, Twitter and Beer Junto, it took no extra thought on my part to confirm with Steve I would be thrilled and honored to be able to provide some assistance with Beer Junto. However, details were discussed and as we did so, we three ended up sharing the following bombers:

Grape and Grain Exchange features a selection
of fines cheeses and caviar
Meantime Brewing Company Old Smoked Bock - $ 11.35
Made for the Michael Jackson Rare Beer Club with Munich and smoked malts and Perle and Spalter hops. The color is a deep amber color that is clear with a medium high carbonation. Note: 6.5% ABV

Stone Brewing Company Smoked Porter - $4.00
So you think you don't like dark beer? Prepare to believe. This is no ordinary porter. And if you are already among the enlightened who appreciate a fine ebony-hued ale, we think you will find Stone Smoked Porter to be a poignant addition to your repertoire. This beer pours a gorgeous deep mahogany crowned by a creamy head. Dark, smooth and complex, with rich chocolate and coffee flavors balanced by a subtle smokiness, this brew is equally delicious with meats or fine chocolates. Note: 5.9% ABV & 53 IBUs

Grape and Grain Exchange - Wall of Voodoo
The Meantime Old Smoked Bock was excellent and being able to get a bomber of the delicious Stone Smoked Porter for $4.00? … outstanding value! … did I mention I was still full from the Maple Street Biscuit Company?

Steve wanted to get back home to his beautiful wife and daughter, so we bid him farewell and made our way slowly to the Jeep.

My thanks to Steve from Beer Junto for the opportunity of providing assistance and to Bob, Jackson and Ford for being such gracious hosts and for establishing a fun and exciting new venue within the historic San Marco community.

Grape and Grain Exchange
https://www.facebook.com/grapeandgrainexchange?fref=ts

Great Divide Brewing Company

Meantime Brewing Company
https://www.facebook.com/meantimebrewing?fref=ts

Stone Brewing Company

Aww hell naw!
On the way home, I was thinking of this evening's byline and “Beer and Biscuits” kept poppin' into my mind – but there was more – much more  - and I couldn't put my finger on it. Heck, I could barely even put my seat belt around it – and then I realized what else was needed.

Does anyone have the 800-number for Pajama Jeans?



No comments:

Post a Comment