Saturday, October 27, 2012

Oktoberfest 2012 at Engine 15 Brewing Co.

Little Bella
It was tempting to stay in yesterday (Oct 6). A late night the evening before working on the computer after we got home from a quick Prowl and being snuggled into our comfortable bed with just the right mixture of air-conditioning and blanket – you know how it is – combined to dissuade me from opening my eyes as the morning dawned.

Companion was cautiously trying to awaken me and by the muted light coming from around the bedroom's curtains, I could tell he had been up for awhile. (How does he do it? - always getting up early – like a farmer ready to attack his chores – but we don't even have a cow – well anymore, at least – and the one we DID have was a Holstein steer – so companion had no milking responsibilities.)

He was quietly inquiring what I wanted for breakfast. My subconscious being was yearning to be back in my interrupted dream where I was helping Xena, Warrior Princess conquer foes after convincing her she would be much more intimidating and effective if she wore stiletto-heeled warrior boots. (Go ahead, picture it ...guys, you ... are ... welcome ...)

I weighed my options – either being a wardrobe-focused Gabrielle in fantasy land – OR - scrambled eggs with fajita-spiced onions and peppers with buttered jelly toast lovingly served in bed. Breakfast won out – Xena would have to fend and accessorize for herself.

One Step Ahead of the Law ... they're right behind me
Early morning hunger was not the sole motivating force behind my awakening, however. This day was Oktoberfest at Engine 15 Brewing Company (1500 Beach Boulevard – Jax Beach – 904.249.2337) … besides being able to enjoy some German-style beer, Engine 15 was also offering Oktoberfest-themed food! … also, the King of Oktoberfest would be crowned that afternoon and I wanted to be there. I had been urging folks to “Vote for Herb” and I was hoping he would be victorious.

Driving over on Beach Boulevard, it was obvious there had been more rain over by the beach than we received at our house. I was considering placing a call to make sure festivities were not being postponed – since we knew some activities would be staged outdoors – but I decided we still wanted to visit Engine 15 regardless.

Mark and Kathy Corbin
Pulling into the parking lot, I noticed there was some spaces available and we were able to settle The Beast into a slot not too far away. As we entered, it was apparent we would be able to find a seat without any problem but I knew the crowd would be increasing as the afternoon wore on.

I was delighted to see Mark and Kathy Corbin seated right beside the front door and they were kind enough to share their table with us. The Corbins explained we could purchase a large Maßkrug (Maß as abbreviated) – the Bavarian word for a “mug of beer” - holding exactly 1 liter of brew … one … LITER? … hello, Oktoberfest!

Ed and Jonathan Stansel, prosting!
Companion suggested I make the selection of German beer of which to fill our Maß – so I chose Hofbrau as my first German beer of choice.

All at our table were happy to see Ed Stansel and son Jonathan enter the premises and join us for awhile. As you are probably aware, Ed is an Editorial Systems Editor for the Florida Times Union and he and Roger Bull collaborate to produce Amber Waves for Florida Times Union www.jacksonville.com. He and Jonathan brought their own Maßkrüge which they had purchased last year at Engine 15's Oktoberfest. Quite the Boy Scouts! … always prepared!

Polkin' out!
After sitting there watching the band One Step Ahead of the Law perform for the crowd, I ventured to the bar to confirm I would go about acquiring some of the German food available. The band was about to start a polka and one of the band members stepped forward, offering to show me how to polka. I did my best not to step on his toes and I came away from the lesson noting to myself to stick with my day job.

The food was delicious! … all I had to do is prepay for what I wanted and I wasted no time selecting:

·         Sauerkraut
·         Bratwurst
·         hendl (chicken)
·         spaetzle (mac & cheese)


Feeling enlivened by the crowd, food …. and beer … I decided to try my hand – or rather, arm – in the Feasts of Strength, This competition pitted seasoned beer-drinkers against one another holding a  Maß full of water at arm's length and shoulder height. After a minute or so, I realized I would rather be drinking, so I gracefully bowed out. Okay, okay - I quit 'cause my arm hurt.

Co-owner Luch Scremin announced the crowning of the Oktoberfest King would occur soon, so I secured a spot where I could see everything – on top of the bench on which I had been sitting.

and the winner is ....
All of the nominees were soon presented before the crowd and I had my fingers crossed for Herb. Luch is quite adept at raising the suspense around the election results and I was very anxious to find out who won.

As Luch shouted the winner's name – HERB! - I was overjoyed for him and his lovely wife, Nona! … they are so popular at Engine 15, such loyal patrons of the establishment and a couple we are honored to know. Companion says they are “good people” which carries a significance much deeper than those two words – and I agree.

"Herb" King of Oktoberfest!
... of course!
The liter of Hofbrau I had been drinking apparently evaporated since when I looked after congratulating Herb and Nona, there was nothing left in my  Maß … what? … of course beer evaporates in an air-conditioned environment … yes, it does, too … you don't think I consumed the entire liter, do you? … companion had his own pint of Engine 15's 904 Weiss Guy, so he wasn't drinking mine – so, that proves it evaporated. Just ask the Corbins, Ed or Jonathan - well, maybe not them – they were too busy listening to the band.

Our afternoon at Engine 15  was dwindling down like the volume of Spaten in my second filling of my Maß. Oktoberfest at Engine 15 had been a tremendous success and I had a great time of fellowship with the Corbin's, Ed Stansel and his son, Jonathan.

Ed and Jonathan soon bid us farewell and not too much later, we said goodbye to Herb and Nona, the Corbin's, Luch Scremin and the rest of the gang at Engine 15 brewing Company.

Feasts of Strength ... next year I've got this!
Congratulations to Engine 15 for another fantastic Oktoberfest and a heartfelt thank you for being so consistent in delivering first rate experiences for your customers. That is why Engine 15 brewing Company will continue to be a regular stop on future Jax Brew Bitch Prowls.







To view more photos from Engine 15's Oktoberfest, please visit the link below:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.362179560534326.87199.181100418642242&type=3

Engine 15 Brewing Company


Bold City Brewery Duke's Cold
Nose Brown Ale
Heading back home, I suggested we stop in at Bold City Brewery (2670 Rosselle St  - 904.379-6551) to say hello and have a beer, of course.

The parking lot was rather full, so companion dropped me off in front and drove off to secure a parking spot. Inside was busy but not excessively crowded.

When companion made his way to the bar where I was seated, we ordered (descriptions per Bold City's website):

Bold City Brewery Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale
This is a mild brown ale which is easily drinkable. A slight nuttiness and sweetness are present. Note: 7% ABV

Bold City Brewery 1901 Red Ale
This is not your standard Red Ale. This is a very ‘malty’, ‘roasty’ and complex Red Ale. The roasted flavor comes from the high presence of roasted barley. With a very minimal but high alpha hop addition, this Red Ale has become a favorite among patrons.

I was starving, so companion jumped outside to get us a pulled-pork sandwich with beans and slaw, prepared ever so deliciously by Vernon of Jolly Mon Catering (904.349.2473).

What a wonderful way to end the day – in the midst of great beer, great folks and great food. My sincere appreciation to the Millers and the rest of the staff there at Bold City Brewery for their dedication to our community and for maintaining an atmosphere always perfect to end Jax Brew Bitch Prowls.





Bold City Brewery

Jolly Mon Catering

Companion settled me into The Beast and stopped to say goodbye to some fellow Bold City patrons. I positioned myself into a comfortable position in which to sleep during our drive home and just as I was about to doze off, Tinker Beer, the Brew Fairy appeared on my shoulder and started tugging my ear to wake me up. She was dressed for mythological battle – a nice little two-piece ensemble – complete with a Sai in her hand.

“Quick, Brewbeerella Warrior Princess! … there is an establishment not honoring the late-night Happy Hour Specials they advertised and we must set them straight!”, Tink said,

Companion got in The Beast, looked over and thought I had already fallen asleep.

He just didn't realize I had vanished into the night, grabbing my Chakram, pointing it skyward and yelling, Into the fray, Tinkrielle – into - the - fray!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment