Saturday, August 4, 2012

Beaches Summer Fest for MDA Saturday, September 15, 2012


Good health is a blessing. “

Any day you wake up healthy is a day beginning with a wonderful blessing.”

Two simple and obvious statements. Yet, as humans, we are so prone to complain about our little ailments – a cold, a fever, a sore knee, a sprained ankle. Even these small illnesses and injuries bring out the negative in us because we perceive we are not ourselves  - not at 100%. … not “leapin' tall buildings with a single bound” …

I myself am not feeling well this evening (Saturday, August 4) - so no Prowl for me tonight. A few days ago, this would have made me almost angry – missing out on some good beer and fellowship. Not so tonight, however.

I've even now told companion to point out (figuratively slap me) when I am so inflicted and stewing about it – acting like “poor pitiful me”. What motivated me to instruct him so?

I just did some research about Muscular Dystrophy and the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). I'm guilty of being one of those who have certainly heard of Muscular Dystrophy but didn't really realize exactly what is was, how many it affects and how many types there are. I've certainly seen the TV commercials in the past but was too preoccupied with … well … me … to look further into it. Shame on me – and companion says shame on him, too.

Below, I have provided some links to the MDA website – the main page, the page where you can learn more about muscular diseases and the page on how you can help their organization.

Another way you can help the MDA is to purchase a ticket (by donation) to the “Beaches Summer Fest for MDA” being held from 6:00 to 10:00 pm on Saturday, September 15, 2012 at the Marriott Courtyard Oceanfront (1617 North First Street, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250).

Online Registration is open – you must be 21 or over with ID and donate a minimum of $40 to enjoy food and drink provided by:


·         Engine 15 Brewing Company
·         Green Room Brewing
·         Bold City Brewery
·         Intuition Ale Works
·         Swamphead Brewing
·         Brewer's Pizza
·         Pinglehead Brewing
·         Three Palms Brewing
·         St. Somewhere Brewing
·         Royal Palm Village Wine & Tapas
·         Perfect Pear Catering
·         Alley Cakes
·         Grassroots Natural Market
·         Ocean 60, Joseph’s Pizza
·         On The Fly Catering.

WooHoo! … count me in!

Live music will be provided by Firewater Tent Revival and Paxton & Mike.

In addition, there will be a large Silent Auction (I just love those!).

The description for the event provides the following information:

An evening of Philanthropic fun, local foods, beverages and live music… All proceeds will be donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

You can register by visiting:



So, please – embrace your wellness – use your healthy muscles – and from your heart and the comfort of your home, take the steps to donate online and get a ticket or two to the “Beaches Summer Fest for MDA”. You'll be doing your part to help a lot of people who certainly need our assistance ($) -  and you'll be providing an excellent evening of a fine brews and chews outing for you and your significant other!

While I was composing this,  Tinker Beer, the Brew Fairy made a rare appearance while I have NOT been … uh … um … let's say, “fully enjoying what the Greater Jacksonville area has to offer during Jax Brew Bitch Prowls”.

Tink inquired why companion and I were at home on this Saturday evening. I told her I was feeling under the weather a bit and we had decided to stay at home and rest.

Tink said, “Oh, I'm sorry you're not feeling well … I know it has to be really aggravating you not being able to get out and about tonight ...

I sat quietly a few moments and then responded by patting her little head softly with my index finger and saying, “No,Tink – tonight, I'm actually feeling very blessed – very blessed indeed.”

Muscular Dystrophy Association




To register and purchase tickets visit:




No comments:

Post a Comment