Monday, July 2, 2012

Doing it old school style with Moon River Pizza and Pinglehead Brewing Company


Large and in charge at Moon River Pizza
Have you ever had your taste buds set for something in particular, then choose a place to dine and THEN realize it's Monday and your selected establishment is closed?

Well, it's happened more than once to me, so that's why I was particularly focused on my research for our culinary adventure options on Monday (June 18).

One intriguing special that evening of which I had learned was the “Old School Special” at Moon River Pizza (1176 Edgewood Avenue South – Murray Hill – 904.389.4442 ). A LARGE one-topping pizza and a pitcher of any beer they have for $20! … any beer??? … like, for instance, “Bold City Dukes Cold Nose Brown Ale?”, I asked hopefully when I called Moon River Pizza to confirm..

Our lovely server, Adrian at Moon River Pizza
Upon learning that Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale was indeed included in the Special, companion and I were like two drifters, quickly off to see the world - for there's such a lot of world to see – and pizza to eat – and beer to drink!


A short drive later, we were parked right in front of Moon River Pizza and from outward appearances, I expected it to have a dimly lit older pizza-parlor interior – nothing wrong with that, by the way – that is just what I was expecting. Entering, I was amazed at the décor! … upbeat, upscale, eclectic, warm and welcoming, I knew at once this was going to become a regular spot on future Prowls!

We were cheerfully greeted at the counter by lovely Adrian, who took our order and invited us to sit wherever we wished. She noted that since we had arrived early in the evening, the pizza would be out rather quickly.

Of course, we ordered the pitcher of Bold City Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale described on Bold City's website:

"This is a mild brown ale which is easily drinkable. A slight nuttiness and sweetness are present."

Large Meatball Pizza from Moon River Pizza
For our large one-topping pizza selection, we opted for the Meatball Pizza. Adrian was certainly right in her estimate of our pizza's ETA  - much quicker than expected!

As I mentioned, the “Old School Special” is a large pizza – large as in the “large” of companion's youth – heck, even MY youth – much larger than you get now at the pizza chains. Impressive quality – amazing flavor – and so huge, we had to stop half-way through and decided to take the rest home. This is DEFINITELY a great deal!

Just as we we asking for a to-go box for the half-pizza we still had remaining, my phone indicated an incoming call providing an exciting second stop on this Prowl, so we prepped ourselves to leave noting the crowd had increased significantly. This was a wonderful first experience – great food, service and ambiance. I am certainly going to try other menu items on future Prowls.

Make next Monday a “night out” for you and yours - grab your huckleberry friend, cross on over in style to the Murray Hill area and take advantage of this phenomenal – and delicious - value served up each Monday at Moon River Pizza!

My appreciation to Adrian and the rest of the staff at Moon River Pizza for excellent and friendly service and to the ownership and management of Moon River Pizza for providing a tremendous value on this first stop of that evening's Jax Brew Bitch Prowl!

To view more photos from Moon River Pizza, visit the link below:

Moon River Pizza

Bold City Brewery


Keegan from Brewer's Pizza and Pinglehead Brewing
Company, JBB and James
The incoming call had been from James from Champion Brands / Team HopHeads informing me that Pele's Wood Fire was tapping Pinglehead Brewing Company's Pinglehead Imperial Red Ale within the next few minutes and invited me to come over.

Being summoned to the Hawaiian Goddess of Fire is something not to be taken lightly, of course – and fully fueled by our mass consumption of great pizza and a whole pitcher of Bold City Brewery's Dukes Cold Nose Brown Ale, it took us no time to paddle our wa’akaukahi to the front of Pele's Wood Fire (2665 Park Street – 904.232.8545), our second visit there.

Opening the door to Pele's I wondered if we needed to offer a sacrifice to her prior to entering – a little concerning since we had nothing left to show for this Prowl thus far – other than half of the Moon River meatball pizza which I had stealthily stashed away in The Beast for safety. No one, even Pele herself, would venture into the confines of The Beast .

Pinglehead Red Ale
Instantly, I saw James, Keegan and a lovely young woman sitting as a group at the bar. James and Keegan were munching on something from Pele's Wood Fire kitchen which I'm sure was spectacular. They ALMOST even looked up from eating when I walked up to them – though, I didn't blame them – the food they were finishing smelled absolutely fabulous.

Companion and I selected bar stools next to these three and companion soon became occupied inspecting all the various 50 beers Pele's has on tap. Since we were there for the Pinglehead Red Ale, we both opted for that.

Pinglehead Brewing Company's website includes a description of this awesome ale:

“Pours a clear red body with an off-white colored head. Aroma is caramel sweet with floral undertones. Dry-hopping gives subtle floral hop flavors to compliment a smooth caramel malt backbone. A combination of mellow bitterness, candy sweetness and medium body result in a balanced, highly drinkable red ale.”

This is a great beer! … not just saying this to appease Pele's fiery disposition, always prone to aggressively protect her newly tapped beer  – but it is truly a righteous brew!. The Pinglehead Red is NOT a “middle-of-the road” red ale like several of those I have tried – those whose flavor is apparent but very subtle. Pinglehead Red Ale has in-your-face eye-opening flavor and I am very impressed with it.

I am somewhat more critical of red ales since my first  “Out-of-Jax-Craft-Brew Body Experience” occurred in San Diego at the moment I tasted the Red Trolley Red Ale brewed by the Karl Strauss Brewery. I fell in love with Red Trolley  - that's been my favorite for awhile -  and Pinglehead's Red Ale gets as close as any COULD, since I'm sure Red Trolley's No. 1 position in my palate is due in part to it being my first. It is SO special to me that companion carefully wrapped a six-pack in his suitcase for me returning from his last solo trip to San Diego (I've still got two bottles left!)

It's not that I'm overly fascinated with Red Trolley – heavens, no …I mean, all I did was send Red Trolley my phone number, address, e-mail address, a request to meet Red Trolley here in Florida and only a couple of “Thinking-of-You” e-cards … *Dear Diary, I wonder if Red Trolley will ever call me?” …

Seriously, Pinglehead Red Ale is one you MUST try – and you'll be able to find it at several places in the Greater Jacksonville area!

Although several orders of Pele's tremendously popular Tuscan Fries were floating about tempting me with each pass of my nostrils, I held off ordering since I was still stuffed from our earlier meal. Even companion mentioned he was still way too full to consider eating anything.

 With Jamie at Pele's Wood Fire
We were introduced to the lovely young woman sitting with James and Keegan – Jamie is her name and she really knows her beer! … being from the Pacific Northwest, she acquired a taste for craft brews early on. She is a regular at Pele's and it is obvious she is quite the popular girl there! … she is so sweet, funny and fascinating, I am SO glad I got the chance to meet her.

James mentioned the Pinglehead Red Ale was also on tap at Kickbacks Gastropub, just down the street … well, all right, then! … let's not let any tap go untried tonight! … let's get moving!

My sincere appreciation to James with Champion Brands / Team HopHeads for inviting me, to Keegan and Pinglehead Brewing Company for an inspired Red Ale and to the ownership and management at Pele's Wood Fire for making each visit an enjoyable stop on Jax Brew Bitch Prowls.  Mahalo nui loa!

Pele's Wood Fire

Pinglehead Brewing Company
http://www.pinglehead.com/


James, Fidel, Steve, JBB and Keegan at
Kickbacks Gastropub for Pinglehead night
Since we were already in the area, it took little time for us to be inside Kickbacks Gastropub (910 King Street – 904.388.9551).

Keegan and James had already staked out a high-top table near the kitchen and companion and I soon had another pint of the amazing Pinglehead Brewing Company's Pinglehead Imperial Red Ale in our hands.

Owner Steve Flores stopped by the table and said hello – notable because he is so busy while in the demolition phase of the structure next door, making way for the soon-to-be expansion! … I can't wait!

It is always a pleasant experience at Kickbacks Gastropub – Steve and his staff are so dedicated to their customers. I really enjoyed our time spent with Keegan and James and the Pinglehead Red Ale, sitting there in our home-away-from-home.

Charming beauties enjoying Pinglehead Red Ale
at Kickbacks Gastropub
Since it WAS a school night and The Beast turns into a horse-apple at midnight, we bid farewell to Steve and his crew, Keegan and James.

Thanks again to James of Champion Brands / Team HopHeads for inviting me, to Keegan for graciously discussing the Red Ale and future plans for Pinglehead Brewing Company and as always, to Steve and the gang at Kickbacks Gastropub – for truly caring about your customers from all walks of life – one reason Kickbacks is a regular stop for me and the perfect place to end that evening's Jax Brew Bitch Prowl.

To view more photos from Pele's Wood Fire and Kickbacks Gastropub for Pinglehead night, visit the link below:

Kickbacks Gastropub

Pinglehead Brewing Company
http://www.pinglehead.com/

The Beast made it back to its stable at home and I quickly showered and settled into bed to check e-mail, respond to a few and make some notes about the evening. Companion followed suit and was soon next to me and we were discussing the night's events and how much we loved the Pinglehead Brewing Company Pinglehead Imperial Red Ale.

Later, as companion fell asleep, I found myself typing just one more e-card to Red Trolley Red Ale – wishing it well, thanking it for the good times – bemoaning the difficulty of maintaining long-distance beer relationships - and letting it know that I had found another Red Ale, much closer and probably better suited for the Jax Brew Bitch. Reviewing the completed message, I realized I was at a Red Ale crossroads – all I had to do was click “Send” …

No comments:

Post a Comment