Thursday, July 19, 2012

A day of Brewing with Mile Marker Brewery, Rendezvous's, Stogies and a little LoveChunk


Toasting to Mile Marker Brewery with Matt Hopcraft

The day had finally arrived! … the day I was going to drive down to Mile Marker Brewery (3420 Agricultural Center Drive  - St. Augustine – 904.217.4294) to help brew for a day! … I was so excited the evening the family there at Mile Marker had extended this special invitation and I was hoping nothing would occur hindering me from taking them up on this generous offer.

Head Brewer Dennis Grune had contacted me informing me I would be assisting them in brewing the last batch of the 1565 Ancient City Reed Ale. He reminded me to wear clothes which I would not mind getting dirty. I had also decided to purchase some rubber boots for the experience – glad I did!

Measuring out the grains ...
I arrived at Mile Marker a little ahead of the time we had arranged – just before 1:00 pm. Matt met me at the door, welcomed me inside and informed me I would be working that day with him.

There was no time wasted as we started gathering the ingredients and tools we would need for the day. Dennis made a brief appearance to say hello on his way out of the brewery on business,

I was exhausted but felt that I had accomplished something special. Although understanding each of the processes and why certain procedures were followed, due to Matt's excellent instructions, it would be difficult for me to re-create each activity in writing. As a rough and incomplete outline, I offer the following:

I followed Matt's precise directions and:

1)     assisted in staging the grain and malt to be used in the batch – nearby for efficient handling;
2)     weighed out the exact portions of grain – watching the scale very closely;
3)     climbed a ladder to add the malt into the mash tun;
4)     let set and let water extract (hot water breaks down the grain and extract the sugars);
5)     after awhile, transferred the run-off from the mash on to the kettle.

Then, I continued under Matt's tutelage by busying myself in the following processes and activities:

1)     recirculation (checking for color and clarity);
2)     sparging – more heat to extract as much sugar as possible;
3)     checking for gravity – every recipe has a gravity they want to achieve – as the kettles fill the gravity needs to be 1 Plato less than original weighed out the grains called for in the recipe gravity;
4)     bringing to a boil;
5)     adding bitter hops
6)     adding aromatics to different stages
7)     measuring gravity
8)     knocking out – taking hot wort, temperature down to fermentation tank

WOW! … eight hours of hot, hard work passed very quickly!

As I was helping to tidy things up, I realized this was a far cry (for me) from one year ago, Then, I was only familiar and not impressed with the all the mass-produced (and what I thought was quite tasteless) liquids being merchandized as “beer”. I would only imbibe with occasional pizza and barbeque – and I never finished by saying, “Wow, now THAT beer is good!” …

The almost eight hours had flown by and Matt was kind enough to include me in their tradition of the brewer having a “cold one” at the end of the day. I believe that afternoon, I had never tasted a better beer than that one particular Mile Marker Coconut Porter, sitting across the bar from Matt. However, I am certain that the 1565 Ancient City Red Ale, available just two short weeks from that day, will be even more satisfying  to me.

My heartfelt appreciation to Matt, Dennis, Ben, Mike and the rest of the family at Mile Marker Brewery for this amazing opportunity of participating in their brewing process and for providing a most memorable and cherished Jax Brew Bitch experience!

To view more pics from my day of brewing at Mile Marker Brewing, visit the link below:

Mile Marker Brewing


Tired but proud of my yeast and grain covered rubber boots, I wanted to venture into downtown St. Augustine to the Rendezvous Restaurant and World of Beer Bar (106 Saint George St # H – St. Augustine – 904.824.1090) for a beer – and to show off my “Brew Boots”!

We found a parking spot in a lot not too far from St. George Street where Rendezvous sits. Entering, there was live music and not too much of a crowd – not surprising since it was a Monday evening.

David was our bartender and he was quite friendly and obviously popular with the regular patrons currently enjoying their brews.

Lost Coast Brewery's Indica IPA
I instantly scanned the available draft beer selections and opted for Lost Coast Brewery's Indica IPA described on Lost Coast's website:

“Indica is a hoppy, full-bodied ale. It has a higher than average alcohol content balanced by radical bittering from Columbus hops, then dry hopped with generous amounts of Willamette and Centennial hop flowers.”

JBB Note: 6.5% ABV – definitely provided the hop jolt I wanted and served well as the substantial ale I was craving after a day of brewing!

Although companion and I were sharing the Indica, I couldn't help but scan the cooler of bottled beer in Rendezvous. HELLO! … they had the Orkney Brewery's Skull Splitter described on the brewery's website:

Orkney Brewery's Skull Splitter
“Skull Splitter is our strongest ale: which is named after Thorfinn Einarsson who was the 7th Viking Earl of Orkney. Sophisticated, satiny smooth with a deceptively light character, it is a tribute to our colourful forbear.

On the nose, this strong beer has a fruity malt character, with hints of dark fruit, spicy hop, dates and figs.

On the palate, rich and complex with sweet toasted malt, molasses, fresh and dried fruit and hints of warming spices.

Appearance
A crystal-clear, rich tawny-red colour beer; a tight, smooth head with hints of red and amber colour

Aroma
Juicy, almost fruity malt character, together with a medley of fresh and dried fruits, dates and figs, hints of ginger and cinnamon spice, hints of vanilla

Palate
A rich, fruity, wine-like complexity on the palate includes fresh and dried fruits, warm exotic spices, and light summer citrus fruits

Key Ingredients
Very best pale ale malt – and plenty of it – together with crystal and chocolate malts provide a rich, fruity backbone which is perfectly balanced by the spicy herbal character of East Kent Goldings hops.

JBB Note: I had been trying to locate this beer for quite some time after an old friend of mine, Ed Schilleci from New Orleans suggested it. Sweet and spicy to me throughout, this one could be deceptively “effective” with an 8.5% ABV.

The live performers took turns at the mic and entertained guests as they came and went during our visit. We enjoyed our beer, the ambiance and the conversations with those around us.

Many thanks to David and Rendezvous Restaurant for providing a great venue to celebrate first Jax Brew Bitch day of brewing!

To view more photos from Rendezvous Restaurant, visit the link below:

Rendezvous Restaurant and World of Beer Bar

Lost Coast Brewery

Orkney Brewery 



Outside of Stogies Jazz Club and Coffee Bar
Leaving Rendezvous, I suggested to companion we go to Stogies Jazz Club and Coffee Bar (36 Charlotte Street – St. Augustine – 904.826.4008). We have been there a number of times in the past and really enjoy the setting, cigars, beer and their SPECIAL! … $5 for any draft beer and one of their house cigars!

Just a quick drive of a couple blocks later, we found a parking spot in the close vicinity. Turns out my “Brew Boots” are good to wear when walking the cobblestone streets in the historic St. Augustine shopping district!

There was a fair-sized crowd gathered outside enjoying their beer and fellowship. As we entered, I noticed several folks around the bar obviously having a fun evening. The dynamo behind the bar was Jon, who was taking care of all his customers. Quite busy, I was impressed with Jon's ability to keep a smile and friendly attitude while serving and carrying on dialogues with various customers.

Jon approached and asked what our choices would be that evening. It's hard to pass up the aforementioned value, so we both opted for that special. For my beer, I selected:Terrapin Beer's Hopsecutioner IPA described on Terrapin's website:

“This Killer IPA earns its name by using six different types of hops while still remaining an aggressive well balanced beer.

ABV: 7.3%
IBU’s: 78
O.G.: 16.3
FG: 3.0
Malt: 2 Row Pale Malt,Munich, Pale Crystal 24L, Victory
Hops: Warrior, Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade (dry hop)”

Companion's beer preference was Highland Brewing Company's Oatmeal Porter described on Highland's website:

“A unique Highland creation, this robust beer is black in color, very malty with hints of chocolate-roasted flavor and a well balanced hop character.
This style was born on the docks of the Thames of London where dock workers or porters delighted in the strong dark ales brewed by the local pubs with roasted malts. This gave rise to the name by which this style is still known. A porter was traditionally served with oysters, the least expensive food available to the dock workers. Highland Brewing has taken this style a step farther with the addition of a judicious amount of flaked oatmeal which helps attain the smooth silky character of our porter.”
Grains - 2 Row Brewers Malt, Munich, Caramel 40, Caramel 60, Chocolate, Black & Flaked Oats

Hops – Chinook, Willamette, & Cascade
ABV – 5.9%
IBUs – 35

Our most fabulous bartender and
entertainer, Jon
We took our selections and chose an outside table at which to relax – the evening air was crisp and refreshing – just a slight chill. After brewing for a day, it felt great. Companion was certainly enjoying the cigar Jon had lit – while occasionally sipping his Highland Oatmeal Porter. I was quite content to sit silently with my Hopsecutioner, reflecting on my earlier brewing activities at Mile Marker Brewing.

Although it was late in the evening, I was invigorated by my earlier brewing experience - and the tasty beer! …  Not quite ready to call it a night, I told companion I would like one more beer while he enjoyed the cigar I had received as part of the Special. Keep in mind, the Jax Brew Bitch likes her an occasional cigar but I rarely smoke more than a third of it  - and then give it to companion. This night, I wasn't in the mood for the cigar, so mine had his name on it.

We re-entered Stogies and found an unoccupied table near the door. As I approached the bar to have the cigar lit by Jon, I noticed the talented entertainer was performing much to the delight of the audience! … he continued to astound me with his choice and performance of song selections from various genres. At certain times, another musician would join him and it obvious they were used to performing together.

Jon performing The Pixies
Jon also got into the act ... performing a song from … the Pixies! … wow! … my era! … and he was quite impressive – obviously very comfortable on a stage.

During the course of Jon's performance, he introduced the original entertainer. His name was Chris Woods which, when transferred via loop pedal to the sound system became “Chris Frickin' Woods” … uh … well … I COULD have put F****** but that might have been considered by some to be inappropriate.

So, for the remainder of our visit, we were serenaded by Chris Frickin' Woods! … no doubt Chris is very popular. Talented and quite entertaining, the crowd was truly enjoying the performance.


I knew it was a “school night” and we needed to start heading back to Jacksonville. Companion had finished his second cigar and I was satisfied I had done an admirable job of sampling brews, so I indicated to companion I was ready to go home.

Matt "LoveChunk" Harvey & Chris "Fricken" Woods
Upon reaching the door to leave, Chris Frickin' Woods alleged (in a friendly way) that I had not tipped the musician(s) – but I confirmed for him with Jon, standing safely at the bar, that I indeed parted with a small token of my appreciation for the evening's entertainment. I asked the name of the other young  troubadour and Chris responded that his talented co-performer was none other than Matt “LoveChunk” Harvey of the band of the same nom de musique orchestre.

Seriously, if you can catch a Chris Frickin' Woods performance, you will enjoy it – a gifted young musician with a bright future. Of course, no doubt Matt “LoveChunk” Harvey will snatch the golden ring in the future, as well. And Jon? … besides being a great bartender – and obviously being “born for the stage”, he is also quite effective in getting a bar crowd aroused and on their feet.

A most sincere “Well Done!” to Jon for his experienced, efficient and effective multitasking during the duration of our stay ! … a heartfelt Jax Brew Bitch standing ovation for Chris Frickin' Woods and Matt “LoveChunk” Harvey for their inspired ballads – and a most respectful “Thank You” to  Stogies Jazz Club and Coffee Bar for providing an atmosphere simply perfect in which to end this very special and oh so memorable Jax Brew Bitch Prowl!

To view more photos from Stogies Jazz Club and Coffee Bar, visit the link below:

Stogies Jazz Club and Coffee Bar

LoveChunk


Terrapin Beer Co. 

Highland Brewing Co.
http://www.highlandbrewing.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment