Sunday, May 20, 2012

What does craft beer mean to you?


This is Day 7 of the National Craft Beer Week and having such a designation prompts one to ask:

“What does craft beer mean to me?”

This question ties the craft beer enthusiasts throughout the country together with a common thread. Whether prominently displayed in writing before you (as at the Craft & Import Beer Festival last night above interviewer Springfield Brew Crew Marc Wisdom) or nestled quietly in your subconscious, the inquiry causes the craft beer consumer to take stock of his or her perception of the value which craft beer brings to their “personal table”. Note that one's level of involvement in “the industry” does not set any parameters in the basis for the question. We're talking beer-in-your-hand base perceptions as a consumer – forget the fact you might make your living by making, delivering, marketing or selling the product.

I considered it a “thoughty” question when I saw it emblazoned above Marc and it kept popping up in my mind as I “worked” the exciting event for blogging purposes. Upon further introspection, I have settled upon a few things which “craft beer” means to me.

It has opened a whole new adventure for me of course - writing about craft beer, its purveyors and the whole experience itself. I am firmly convinced the perceptions formed about bars and restaurants are forged the morning after – when you have had time to reflect on the “total value” of the whole experience. If I am indeed correct, this bodes well for the future of craft beer here in the Greater Jacksonville area.

Currently in and around Jacksonville, “Craft Beer” is offered at establishments already making the effort to provide a better quality beverage option and improved experience for their customers. Naturally, we Jacksonvillians want all of our purveyors to be so motivated and with our combined efforts, more and more will “see the light” and strive to improve their selections, their service and quality. That's why I go on the prowl … self-indulgently, of course – to highlight those places whose ownership and management are truly focused on their customers – and to Bitch Slap those who aren't.

Do we here in Jacksonville want to be seriously in the running one day for Beer City, USA? … then, we have to get it ALL right. We, as consumers, need to support ($) the local breweries, bars and restaurants AND their staff. Owners need to assure themselves they are soliciting and using feedback obtained from their customers regarding what they would like to see on the food and beer menus, what went well with their visit – or what made it a debacle.

The majority of our purveyors must “buy in” - to ACT upon the fact that the purpose of their business is to CREATE and KEEP their customers - and they must do ALL those things which make people WANT to do business with them. Common sense type stuff, huh? … then why are there still so many who don't keep that axiom in the forefront of their minds? … I say the good news is that it is a management style which can be mimicked and learned - old dogs can indeed learn some new tricks. No resting on laurels is allowed though – there are some lean and hungry young entrepreneurs out there – just waiting for their chance.

So, what else does “craft beer” mean to me?

“Beer” was always the mass-produced beverages when I was younger. As one of a group of fellow high-schoolers, sneaking away to the woods to consume whatever quantity one in the group had been able to secret away from their father's cache. I look back now and I have realized I was only drinking that beer for three reasons:

1)     there wasn't anything else, to speak of, available in Louisiana at the time;
2)     I didn't know any better any way;
3)     it was being offered to me by that cute boy I was interested in.

I went through the days, as many young adults, of hard liquor and though wild and exciting, it takes a toll on you. Craft beer is something I can sit and enjoy while being with friends - not drinking "for effect" - but drinking "for fellowship". Big difference!

"Crying in your beer" is a thing of the past - taprooms are happy places - as more and more bars decide to offer more craft beer, the stereotypical bars - where people go to drown their sorrows - will transform into places where happy people go to meet - and where lonely people can go to meet someone new in an upbeat environment.

Craft beer has also brought me (and companion) wonderful new friends from all walks of life. Thinking back to just a year ago, we had been in Jacksonville about a year and wondered how we were going to get out and develop a new circle of friends.

I had just started working out at the gym and we decided one evening to drop by Kickbacks where a co-worker of companion's had taken us one time before.

John was our server and he was quite displeased when I asked for an “Ultra”  - or something similar in calories. Companion made John a little happier by going with his suggestion – a porter or stout of some type. After I took a sip of companion's beer, I was hooked! … I then told John to select one for me – and the Jax Brew Bitch was born. Beginning with that experience, we have gained so many friends and interesting acquaintances.

Finally, “craft beer” has provided me with a mission. What I want to do is instill the motivation to those who have not tried craft beer to give it a whirl – my bet is that with all the styles out there, they will find one they will naturally gravitate toward.

I hope their experience will then become their passion  - and that the relationships they now have will be refreshed with exciting craft beer related activities - and that the new friendships they forge will be every bit as   endearing and gratifying as the ones WE have built, self-indulgently, enjoying “craft beer” via the Jax Brew Bitch.

To those who happen to be reading, I sincerely thank you for taking the time out of your day to do so. It means a great deal to me – and I look forward to seeing you – and meeting you – and getting to know you - on future Jax Brew Bitch Prowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment