Thursday, May 24, 2012

Intuition Ale Works 'Ladies Night Out' Beer Tasting and Seminar


The American Medical Association's “Epinephrine Monitoring Meter” hovering over northeast Florida located “Adrenaline Central” for the region, Tuesday (May 15), situated at precisely the same coordinates as my house. I had been asked a few days earlier by Robin Rutenberg of Intuition Ale Works to speak for 5 to 10 minutes at the Ladies Night Out Beer Tasting and Seminar event being held at the brewery later that Tuesday evening. (*gulp*)

The general topic suggested by Robin was “Women in Craft Beer” - and I felt she had selected the perfect subject for me! …  I told companion that Robin had indicated I should speak about ladies swimming around in a big tank of craft beer! … he then explained what she probably meant was the participation in and contributions to the craft beer industry. Yes, that DID make more sense ...
  
Cari & Robin preparing for the evening
As I realized the event would probably be well-attended, nervousness set in and the adrenaline started pumping. After sketching out an outline for a couple of days, I felt I was fairly close to being ready for the event. The day of the event, I received a confirmation e-mail about my reservation for the evening and it indicated it was “sold-out” - (*hurl*) … gad, my first real experience in public speaking (other than very small groups). I wanted to do well – not only for myself but also for the Ladies of Intuition because I just love them and I respect them for what they are bringing to the forefront there at the brewery.

On the drive over to Intuition around 5:00 pm the day of the event, I was quietly going over my little speech and companion allowed me the solitude during the journey. Approaching the brewery, I told him I would like to enjoy a beer (or two) after the event – to celebrate this very special day for me – and he wholeheartedly agreed. Companion dropped me off with a good-luck kiss and drove away to meet our friends over at Kickbacks Gastropub.
Intuition Ale Works Brewery
Entering Intuition, I noticed Lindsay, Robin and Cari busy with preparations for the event. They were so supportive and excited about the evening and this made me really want to come through for them.

As soon as the guests arrived, each was offered a pint of a brew of their choice and encouraged to mingle and meet others. Then, we were taken in two groups for a tour of the brewing process. Robin lead the tours and let us try the grains that went into the brews while she explained the basic process of how their brewery works.  The tour was culminated with a showcase of their new canning line.

Intuition's latest Brewer,
Jessie Erickson
We then were seated and I was pleased to be at the same table as Cari Sanchez-Potter, Diana Davis and Kathy Corbin. Robin began by introducing Jessie Erickson, the new lady brewer at Intuition Ale Works! … WOW! … an amazingly talented young individual with a bright brew-future!

Robin and Lindsay began pouring the delicious samples of Intuition brews for us to try (descriptions per Intuition's website) while Jessie provided descriptions and the brew process of each one:

Golden Spiral
“A Belgian golden ale brewed with Belgian malts, Czech hops and coriander. Fermented with our house Belgian strain. Spicy, fruity esters and very refreshing. Our gateway beer for those new to Belgian beers.”

Redman
Counter to its mischevous Irish folklore namesake, The Redman is a smooth and enjoyable Irish red. Malty and lightly hopped, this brew is perfect for any drinking session.”

I-10 IPA
“The West Coast comes to Jax with this extremely hoppy, true India Pale Ale. Our two-row malted barley and caramel malt come to life with a ?@!#-ton of Northwest hops. We use 4 different hops during the brewing process and during dry hopping. It’s music to your nose.”

Dubbel Helix
“Belgian dubbel brewed with German hops for bittering, Czech Saaz hops for flavor and aroma, and a variety of Belgian malts. Everything comes together to make for a spicy beer with notes of dark fruit, burnt caramel and bananas.”

The Siren “Schwartzbier”
Brewed by the ladies of Intuition, this sassy schwartzbier has hints of Ancho, Guajillo and Chipotle Peppers. During the month of May, for every pint sold of this enjoyable black lager we will donate $1 to Girls Rock Jacksonville, a local non-profit summer camp helping girls ages 9-16 realize their musical and person potential!”

King Street Stout
Imperial stout brewed with two-row malted barley and a variety of roasted and caramel malts.”

Not only were we enjoying the tasty beverages, we grazed on gourmet cheeses from Grassroots Natural Market, whole grain crackers, fruit and almonds – all provided by Intuition Ale Works. We also had Siren Cupcakes which were made by Baking Under the Influence and owner Violet Skinner had made them and brought them in for the event. Decadent!

In attendance that evening was Girl Meets Beer – a group of fascinating women from the New Smyrna Beach and Daytona Beach areas! … they had made the trip all the way up to Jacksonville for this event – I call that hardcore dedication to beer! … Visit their Facebook page for more information on this intriguing “brew platoon” of women! (https://www.facebook.com/girlmeetsbeer1 ). Heading up the group was Melissa R. and she also had her daughter Samantha with her. I look forward to getting together with this adventurous group in the near future!
The Siren Cupcakes made by
Baking Under the Influence

I was graciously introduced by Robin and I was flattered and encouraged by the warm welcome from the wonderful group of women gathered in the brewery.

Generally outlined as follows, my short presentation included:

-         I spoke of the amazing accomplishments of the Ladies of Intuition with the commercially successful Siren - a Bavarian Schwarzbier they developed themselves.

-         I described the impressive Cicerone certifications recently obtained by Hannah, Robin and Lindsay.

-         I pointed out that owner Ben Davis should be a model for other brewery owners in acknowledging and supporting the efforts of the women involved in craft beer.

-         I mentioned the first woman Master Cicerone -  Nicole Erny and I noted her impressive accomplishments. Since only four Master Cicerones exist, it is remarkable Nicole has achieved that status.


Finally, I noted that there IS a growing presence of women involved in craft beer – and that this presence will manifest itself in the future in more creative ideas, better business and a better all-around industry. Summing it up, I urged the women in attendance to strongly assert themselves in this progressive movement – either as an active business participant or engaged consumer – and to tell any chauvinistic male blocking their involvement:

“Lead, follow or the get the hell out of our way – that rumble you hear is us – and we're on a stampede”

Diana Davis, Cari Sanchez-Potter
Following my little speech, I sat back down and enjoyed more conversation with Cari Sanchez-Potter, Diana Davis and other ladies. Before I left, I saw Brewer Andrew and was able to speak with him briefly to catch up a little since we last spoke. All the ladies in attendance had been invited into the Tap Room at the conclusion of the event and several did just that.

The hovering AMA Epinephrine Meter lost its lock on me as I settled into a contented inner self, still excited and honored to have taken a part in the event, and in the glow of post-presentation relaxation.


Melissa of Girls Meets Beer
I take this opportunity to ask each of you women to “take the fight to the barricades” – become involved in a beer group for women to enhance your enjoyment and knowledge of craft beer – to become more vocal about your questions, comments and suggestions at each beer establishment you visit - and to take the time to thank Ben Davis for choosing to lead the way by focusing on the contributions and talents of the Ladies of Intuition.

Intuition's Lindsay working hard!
My heartfelt appreciation to Robin, Lindsay, Cari Sanchez-Potter and Ben Davis for allowing me this privilege – and to each of the women there that evening who were so kind and supportive. I enthusiastically applaud all of you for taking the time and spending your hard-earned money to be there - you are precious and valued members of this movement – and I personally thank you for impressively - and effectively -  leading the charge!

Intuition Ale Works 

Baking Under the Influence

Girl Meets Beer

To visit more photos from Ladies Night Out Beer Tasting and Seminar, visit the link below:


I called companion and he informed me he was still with our friends Teresa and Marco at Kickbacks Gastropub (910 King Street – 904.388.9551), so he drove over quickly and picked me up while our friends held the table.

It was good seeing Teresa and Marco again – it had been a little while due to everyone's schedules. I was excited to see one of my Ale Angels, Jill serving our table … I knew it would be another spectacular experience at Kickbacks!

I was able to relax a little more with the knowledge my adrenaline-fueled day was drawing to a close. We ordered Kickbacks popular Fish & Chips to split while companion and I shared and enjoyed (descriptions per breweries' websites):

Unibroue Blonde de Chambly
Unibroue Brewery Blonde de Chambly

Here is Unibroue’s own interpretation of traditional Belgian saison ale. Traditionally brewed to help field workers cool off on long summer days, saison ales were highly refreshing—even served warm in the days before refrigeration. Blonde de Chambly pays tribute to the Filles du Roy, the women who came to Nouvelle-France to marry soldiers of the Carignan-Salières Regiment, among others. They settled on the fertile lands defended by Captain Jacques de Chambly and gave birth to many of our ancestors.

JBB Notes: This had been recommended by Intuition Ale Works Brewer Andrew during my discussion with him at the conclusion of the event at Intuition earlier that evening. Very appropriate for tonight – a beer named in honor of women! … my palate experienced a spicy fruit taste in this lighter body Saison. Thank you Andrew for a great suggestion!

Boulder Beer Company's Mojo Risin' Double IPA

“Mojo Risin' Double IPA is a souped up extreme version of Mojo IPA. Brewed with more than a half-ton extra malt and twice the amount of hops – then double-dry-hopped with Amarillo hops for added intensity,

Note: 10% ABV, Amarillo and Centennial hops”

JBB Notes: WOW! … good hop jolt I love – full bodied – a follow-through for me since I had earlier noted it was  a definite future buy for JBB

Kickback's 'go to' Fish & Chips
The Fish & Chips were awesome! … and huge! … of course, it is said “A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet eaten in anxiety” - and I was certainly at peace inside Kickbacks. The previous anxiety of the day had melted away with the fellowship with our friends and the fine brews I was drinking.

Marco took a small bite of the leftover Fish & Chips and announced he was going to order it the next time they are in. If you have not tried this signature dish of Kickbacks Gastropub, you are missing out on a great value!

Thanks to Jill for wonderful service as always, to Teresa and Marco for their continuing friendship and to Steve Flores and the rest of his crew at Kickbacks Gastropub for consistently being that comfortable “home away from home” I count on during many Jax Brew Bitch Prowls!



Kickback's Gastropub


"The Siren" from Intuition
Ale Works
As gifts to the attendees of the earlier event at Intuition, the brewery had provided a card entitling the holder to a free pint of one of their tasty brews! … I had received one, so I suggested to companion we boot-scoot back over to Intuition Ale Works (720 King Street – 904.683.7720).

Entering the Tap Room, we were excited to see Hannah behind the bar! … also one of my Ale Angels (along with Robin and Lindsay) her radiant smile and gracious style always makes our visit there an enjoyable one. Hannah had been tasked with Tap Room duties during the event but she had heard all about it from Robin and Lindsay.

Of course, I had to go with the Ladies of Intuition's Siren and companion selected the new Fog Lights … Both described on Intuition's website:

The Siren
Brewed by the ladies of Intuition, this sassy schwartzbier has hints of Ancho, Guajillo and Chipotle Peppers. During the month of May, for every pint sold of this enjoyable black lager we will donate $1 to Girls Rock Jacksonville, a local non-profit summer camp helping girls ages 9-16 realize their musical and personal potential!”

JBB Notes: Fully flavorful with just the right amount of kick!


Fog Lights
“A lightly smoked American ale. We smoked our malts locally at Mojo #4 to create this delightful, light summer ale.”

JBB Notes: I noticed a heavy smoke influence – which I love – smooth, good “end-of-the-evening” brew.

An amazing day for me had finally come to an end and one which was fully satisfying for me. Thanks to Hannah for always delivering professional and friendly service and for being so suppotive that evening. My heartfelt appreciation to Intuition Ale Works for the honor of being involved in their event and for providing the best possible place to end this very memorable - and treasured - Jax Brew Bitch evening.

Girls Rock Jacksonville

Intuition Ale Works

To view more photos from the evening, visit the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment