Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Irish I had another beer ... Happy St. Patty's Day!

Here's to the patron saint of Ireland! … companion was still out of town but he had stressed that he wanted me to have fun with the group, so I accepted an invitation for me and Tina to park over at Vince's so we all could perambulate about Riverside.

Our first stop was Kickback's Gastropub where we met Teresa, Marco and family. Vince, Tina and I split their popular large appetizer sampler and I ordered a Bold City Irish Red to commemorate the festive holiday. The Irish Red is distinguished from Bold City's 1901 Red Ale in that, in my opinion, the 1901 is a little “smokier” than the Irish Red.

We made quick work of the appetizers and made our way over to the street party where Margaret Street was closed off for vendors and beer booths. Some of the offerings available that day included Irish Car Bombs, Jameson Irish Whiskey, Guinness and Killian's Red. Keeping in the spirit of the day, I had a Killian's Irish Red.

Killian's website displays the following characteristics of the Irish Red:

“Deep ruby red in color with a dense off-white foam. Roasted and toasted caramel characteristics with ale-like fruit esters.Toasted/roasted caramel malt introduction with nice bready characteristics. Full-bodied with medium carbonation. Well-balanced with slight lingering citrus rind and subtle sweetness.”

St. Patty's Irish Stew
The energized atmosphere of the street party got me hungry again – at least that's the story I'm stickin' to – so, I decided I would eat something at Bold City Brewery. Finding a table right inside the door of the tap room, I ordered the St. Patty's Irish stew, Colcannon (mashies and kale) and soda bread – all this for only $8.00 -  and I had a Bold City Irish Red – right from the tap!

Food was great – beer was spectacular – company was the best.

My heartfelt appreciation to our group for taking me under their wing in companion's absence and a hearty “thank-you” to Kickback's Gastropub and Bold City Brewery for tasty St. Patrick's Day fare!




Visit the link below to view more photos ...

No comments:

Post a Comment